Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thoughts

We all go through our day taking so many things for granted.   Almost too many things to list.  Only when faced with losing one of those things do we realize how important it is to us. 

In Pathology we are generally pretty disconnected from our patients.  Our patients are little glass slides with pink and purple stained tissue on them.   We can see hundreds of them a day, frequently spending less than 5 minutes/case.  It's easy to forget that tied to all those little pieces of tissue is a person.  A person who's most likely scared and anxious, awaiting our diagnosis so they can go on with their life.

I'm rotating through Hematopathology right now.   In med school one of the hardest rotations for me was Hematology/Oncology.  What was hard for me was dealing with the dismal prognoses that so many of those patients faced.   And I'm finding the same difficulty in Hemepath even though I have never met any of our patients.   One of the women that works in our department and sees the patients regularly always says that the cancer patients are the nicest people out there.  

Why must we wait until we're about to lose something to realize how important it is to us?  Why must we find fault with such mundane things that we cannot see the beauty of life around us?
Death stirs up all sorts of grief - the reminder that life is too short. The reminder that loving someone is such a risk and absolutely worth it. And that you should be enjoying every single little waking moment of it.
A quote from Jen Triplett, a remarkable woman whom I look up to for so many reasons.

1 comment:

LaTonzia said...

Hey Val, that was very profound. I feel the same way. I'm glad I was able to spend the past month with you at the VA.